Well the Raspberry Pi 3 went on sale today in Australia and I was lucky enough to pick one up.
Key improvements over the Pi 2:
- Broadcom BCM2837 chipset running at 1.2 GHz
- 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53
- 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN
- Bluetooth 4.1 (Classic & Low Energy)
- Dual core Videocore IV® Multimedia co-processor
- microUSB connector for 2.5 A power supply
So why did I push to get one of these so quickly? I think it will make a great multimedia player (the model B does fine) and with the built in Wifi more easily deployed.
I am currently imaging a new Micro SD card with the latest version of Raspbian (Jessie 2016-02-26) and will update with initial thoughts in the next day or two.